June 2017  
SMTWTFS
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
     
Upcoming Events
JUN

25

SUN
6th Grade Camp
For sixth graders only
Arlington Worship and Sunday School
9:15 AM to 10:00 AM
Worship service at Arlington UMC 9:15
Sunday School at 10:15
Prague Sunday School and Worship
9:30 AM to 10:30 AM
All ages Sunday school program at Prague UMC 9:30
Worship 10:45
Staffed nursery provided.
JUN

26

MON
District Camp
For 7th grade through graduated seniors
Prague Church History

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Prague was organized in August of 1902 by the Reverend H. P. Kyper, who was the pastor of the Arlington circuit, with 25 charter members.  Services were held in the District School building until September of 1903.  At that time, the M.E. South Church building was used the first Sunday of each month.

     In 1904, a thirty foot by forty foot Church building was erected two blocks west of the present church, and on July 10, 1904, the new building was dedicated.  It had a seating capacity of 140 people.  The Reverend H. J. Poole was the first pastor appointed by the Annual Conference.

     The lots where the present church stands were a gift of Mr. C. G. Ambrister, in 1915 and the Church was moved to this location.  The building was enlarged, at that time, to seat 300 people.  The Reverend J. T. Walker was pastor.

     In the year 1927, the Church building and the parsonage both burned, leaving the Methodist without a home again.  Services were held in the high school, the theatre, and in Sokol Hall.  The Reverend R. T. Franklin engineered the rebuilding of the parsonage, and in 1928, the Reverend J. E. Pennington came to Prague and led the congregation in building the present church at the cost of approximately $35,000.  It was one of the most attractive and modern churches of the day, and had a seating capacity of over 500.  The M. E. Church, South, was debanded prior to this time, and in 1939 The Methodist Protestant Church was united with the M. E. Church to form the Methodist Church as it continues today.  The indebtedness was finally paid and the Church dedicated by Bishop W. Angie Smith in 1946, during the Pastorate of Reverend Ira Crabtree*.   An educational wing was added in 1961.

     Since 1971, the Prague and Arlington Churches have been a two church charge served by one pastor.

     The new Sanctuary, where we now worship, was opened in 1983 and dedicated in 1992.  We celebrated our 100th birthday in 2002.

     Our Church has a great heritage.  Many wonderful and dedicated pastors and laymen have faithfully served us.  Our Church has a great future.  God calls us to a glorious task to build for the future generations, just as our Fathers did before us.

* Taken from the 1958-1959 booklet on our Church.

Contents © 2017 Prague & Arlington United Methodist Churches | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy